Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Penguin Celebrations



So I already mentioned I recently finished Donna Tartt's novel The Secret History. I bought it in the edition published by Penguin last year in their series "Penguin Celebrations", a collection of 36 books (philosophy, mystery, fiction, travel, autobiography and viewpoints) to celebrate their winning the British Book Awards Publisher of the Year Award in 2007.

When I saw them in a local bookstore, I was charmed and very tempted to get the entire collection. The bookstore was running a special, buy two, get one free, so I managed to limit myself to just three, but it was hard because I fell in love with their cute retro covers and their old fashioned feel. Also the fact that I had already read some of them helped me to resist. If you happen to see them anywhere, check them out, they are darling books and great titles to boot.

At the moment I am reading the Penguin Celebrations edition of Zadie Smith's White Teeth. I am so tempted to go back to the bookstore and see if they still have some of the other volumes from the collection!

1 comment:

J said...

You are making me want to go pick up some books! Currently I have mostly been reading non-fiction, and if I do read fiction, it is usually from Andy's pile.