Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Photograph by Penelope Lively (2002)


I was out with my kids yesterday and we made a stop at our main library downtown where they have a huge selection of English books. I picked out four to take home and I started on this one first. It was not very long and once I got into it, I couldn't put it down, just kept reading and reading until I was finished. It was a very compelling book.

The story starts out as Glyn, a 60 year old professor, is looking for a document in a cupboard and unexpectedly comes across a picture of his wife, Kath, holding hands with another man. As he looks closer, he sees that the other man is Nick, Kath's sister's husband. Glyn is in shock - what does this mean? He decides to find out and goes straight to Elaine, the sister, to find out if she knew about this. The book is about the consequences of him finding the picture but also about what happened to Kath, which we only find out little by little.

The book also examines two marriages, and the theme of paying attention to those closest to us, and how important this is. Glyn realizes, through his search for information, that there was a lot about his wife he simply didn't know, and this turns out to be tragic.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Hello Amy,
I discovered this blog after you left a comment on my training blog. I too am a lover of books, although in general I read mostly non-fiction. Two books of fiction that I have read lately AND actually enjoyed are, "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick and "The Art Of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. These are two very different kinds of novels - the first a stark, dark tale. The second an uplifting and deeply moving story. But both were very satifying reads.

Thanks for reviewing "The Time Traveler's Wife". I have been looking at this book and thinking of reading it. I'm going to give it a try!

And have you read, "Eat, Pray, Love" yet?

Nikola said...

This sounds amazing! I am sure people are kinda oblivious to what's going on to people around them nowadays. Thanks for the review!